The Seacrest Parent Association (S.P.A.) strives to provide opportunities to join other Seacrest families in supporting the School. Examples of volunteer opportunities include faculty appreciation luncheons, the book fair, Coffee Cart, various fundraisers, and more. Those who offer to share time and talents as Seacrest volunteers are always appreciated.
Get plugged in and participate! Every Seacrest parent is an S.P.A. member.
How can I help?
Share your talent. Volunteer as classroom parent, bring baked goods for our monthly coffee cart, prepare a dish for our biannual Teacher, Faculty & Staff Appreciation Luncheons, help organize Box Tops or the gift card program, or become involved with one of the many school-wide events. Whether you have an hour or months to volunteer, we appreciate everyone's time and contribution!
Seacrest Parents Association | S.P.A.
May 12, 2017 Meeting Minutes
1. Welcome and thank you to current S.P.A. Officers
2. Parent Association Survey Overview
- 30% response rate with equal response between divisions. Such a response rate is considered typical of surveys.
- 94% of parents said they wanted more family centered events. While 34% wanted parent only events.
- 2017/2018 SPA is aiming toward more family centered events, while still having a few events for parents to have a night to socialize as well.
- 48% of parents said they only check the Seacrest portal once a month. We need to come up with a timelier, efficient method to get information out to families.
- 94% suggested email as a source.
- Text messaging information was also suggested, but needs to be discussed further considering it's currently being used for emergencies.
3. Restructuring of the Seacrest Parents Association
a. Introduction of 2017-2018 Executive Committee
President- Pam Hawkesworth - firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice President- Bill Richards - email@example.com
Treasurer- Andrew Miller - firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary- Naomi Smith - Nmaries06@gmail.com
b. Increase parent involvement
- Many parents are limited on time, have multiple children or are unsure on how they can get involved.
- The S.P.A. is aimed at increasing parent involvement whether it's in the classroom, with clubs, athletics, or events.
- Providing volunteering opportunities for everyone in areas of their interest.
The Seacrest store is being converted to a volunteer office. It will be a designated place for parents to go, stocked with materials and supplies needed for volunteer opportunities throughout the campus. There will also be an area for siblings to play while parents volunteer.
c. Focus on community and family events.
- Stingray Picnic
- Movie Night
- Trunk or treat
- Seacrest Family Scavenger Hunt
d. Monthly meetings – duration, topics
- We want to open the lines of communication, and hear feedback whether it's positive or negative.
- A suggestion box will be located in the new parent volunteer office and on the website.
- Monthly meetings lasting no longer than 1 hour.
- Multiple meeting times throughout the week to ensure everyone has the opportunity to attend a meeting and get involved.
e. Website, availability of information, meeting minutes
Over the summer, the Seacrest portal will be updated to make S.P.A. easier to access. You will find minutes from previous meetings, opportunities for involvement throughout the campus, and a suggestion tab.
4. Middle School Athletics
- 80% participation rate
- Compete in the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference, which is broken down into two divisions: Middle School A division (7th/8th) and Middle School B division (6th/7th).
- Students can participate in varsity high school sports if no middle school program offered. (i.e. swimming)
- State-mandated sport physical and forms need to be filled out prior to competing in any sport.
- Parent sports meeting on Wednesday the 17th at 6:30pm in the Upper School common room.
5. Dress Code Update Pk-8th
- Lands' End will be the new uniform provider. All uniforms will be ordered through the Lands' End and delivered to your home.
- Collared shirts will be required for Pre-K through Grade 8 students.
- Students can still wear the shirts they currently own.
- Spirit Day Fridays- you can buy everything through the sideline store. Spirit Fridays will continue during the 17-18 school year.
a. The issue of transportation to and from practice (swimming and golf) or games was raised.
- The S.P.A will further investigate this issue, and will be meeting with the Booster club to brainstorm ideas.
7. Upcoming Events
a. End of School Calendar
b. Tentative Preview of 2017-2018 Social Calendar
S.P.A. 2016-2017 Officers